Improving my Blog Photography

Apart from my travel posts, I never really put much effort into my photography. I would take about 30 photos in one day and use them for all my lifestyle posts hoping no one would realise. Recently, I have decided to become less lazy and make my photographs a little more appealing, not just on my blog but also my Instagram. I am starting to create a theme where they all look very bright and have a sharp contrast to make items in the photos stand out. I am going to explain how I have improved my photographs; it's quite simple but I thought certain processes may help yours.

SET UP

I have started to layout the subjects in the photo in a better way instead of just throwing them on my bed or against a wall and snapping away.

USING A TRIPOD

The tripod I have was bought by my parents and is a really good quality make, with a sturdy stand and with many adjustable settings to get to the level/position you want your camera to be in. I recommend this trip to all advanced photographers/bloggers/vloggers because it does everything you need it to at a high standard quality.

MAINTAINING A LIGHT BACKGROUND

Apart from some old photos, I now try to maintain the background a light colour. This just adds a bit more depth and contrast to the photo and also keeps all focus on the foreground subjects. I tend to stick to a white background but sometimes a light blue or grey colour.

EDITING IN PHOTOSHOP

Apart from iPhone photos (which I no longer use in my bag), all my photos will be edited in Photoshop. I love Photoshop so much and have a monthly subscription so it'd be a waste if I didn't use it. I have recently discovered a new way to edit in Photoshop which I may share with you in the future (it's a secret hack!!)

How do you make your photography stand out?

1. Jemma Morgan
    April 8, 2017 / 2:26 pm

I love these tips! Little things can make a huuuuge difference, and its so helpful! I bloody love photoshop even just for making whites lighter and blacks deeper; it makes everything so pretty!xx

April 23, 2017 / 6:47 am

I completely agree! I don't edit my photos too much just tend to adjust the exposure, lighting and contrast. It's amazing how some little adjustments can change the entire look of your image. Abs x

2. Sophia Whitham
    April 12, 2017 / 7:10 pm

I seriously need to get a tripod, I can't quite afford a decent camera yet so still use my phone but having the freedom to set up a tripod would help me hugely. x Sophia xx http://sophiawhitham.co.uk

April 23, 2017 / 6:50 am

I sometimes forget about my tripod which is so annoying because it is so helpful. I don't know why but I can't go back to phone photography after using my camera, my phone quality is so bad. Having said that, people take beautiful photos on their phones, I need to learn how. Abs x

3. Robyn Vernon
    April 12, 2017 / 7:19 pm

These are some really good tips! I'm pretty lazy with my photography and always feel like I need to keep improving my photography!Robyn // http://www.midnightandlace.co.uk

April 23, 2017 / 6:55 am

I used to be the same with my photography but now I've learnt to take about 50 photos in one go of different set-ups and then edit them straight away so I will always have a photo ready-to-go somewhere on my laptop for future reference. Abs x

4. Itsallzara
    April 12, 2017 / 7:32 pm

I could take some lessons from you! I'm still using my iPhone and my windowsill, fingers crossed I improve my photos myself, great post xxItsallzara.blogspot.co.uk

April 23, 2017 / 6:57 am

I am still restricted with what I can do with my photography sometimes as my room at university isn't exactly homely or big. Can't wait to go back home and improve them a little bit more. Abs x

5. Corinne & Kirsty
    April 12, 2017 / 7:36 pm

I do need to buy a tripod coz I can't take ootd pictures by myself otherwise. I use photoshop and it is really helpful! amazing tips! xx corinne

April 23, 2017 / 6:59 am

Ah yes that is one perk of having a tripod. My photos would be rubbish without Photoshop, it's my saviour. Abs x

6. nessaclayden
    April 12, 2017 / 7:47 pm

Im thinking on investing a tripod…may have to check this out! therealnessonline.com

April 23, 2017 / 7:01 am

I would recommend the one I have if you don't mind spending a bit on it. It is definitely worth the money though. Abs x

7. Johanna Barrett
    April 12, 2017 / 7:52 pm

Such great tips! I need to start upping my game when it comes to blog photos

April 23, 2017 / 7:02 am

Thank you lovely! Abs x

8. Kirsty Hebdon
    April 12, 2017 / 8:00 pm

Thanks for these tips, I'm looking to improve my blog photography in the next year! XxKirsty | The Monday Project | themondayproject.co.uk

April 23, 2017 / 7:03 am

Your welcome, I'm glad they are helpful! Good luck :)Abs x

9. Victoria Goodman
    April 13, 2017 / 12:26 am

This makes me want a proper camera even more!! But I'm too poor so my iPhone will have to do for now! Your photography is gorgeous so thank you for the tips! 🙂 x Victoria | VictoriaaHelenn

April 23, 2017 / 7:05 am

My blog photography would be non-existent without my camera aha! I don't know how people get such beautiful photos through their phones, mine always come out horribly. Abs x

10. kyia belle
    April 15, 2017 / 9:57 pm

Some things that have helped me improve my blog photography are finding an editing style that complements your personality. For me I've recently been really drawn to the warm-neutral saturation photos, with soft whites. You can even do this using just iPhone apps, instead of investing in Photoshop! My favourite one to use is VSCO for a filter and adding sharpness, then moving it over to Toolwiz Photo to do (almost!) everything photoshop can do. Kyia at WANDERLUSTGIRL// Lifestyle & BeautyLet’s be BLOGLOVIN friends!

April 23, 2017 / 7:09 am

That is something I am currently working on. I think I am getting there. It is a trial and error process I think. Sometimes if I am out and about and can't access photoshop, then I will use Snapseed which offers everything I need for my photos. I tried VSCO as so many people recommend it but I can't get my head around the APP, it seems so confusing aha. I have just been going through your blog and your photography is gorgeous! Abs x

11. Josie Brownlee
    April 22, 2017 / 7:26 pm

Ooh I've just come across your blog and it's totally up my street and these tips for photography and brilliant – I got a tripod for Christmas and have never really spent the time setting it up and giving it a go! Must do that! I also really need to invest in Photoshop – I'm hopefully making the transition to Mac soon (if and when I graduate) have you got any tips on subscriptions or packages that are good?JosieVictoriaa // Fashion, Travel & Lifestyle

April 23, 2017 / 7:12 am

Thank you lovely, I'm happy to have helped a little! I go through phases of using my tripod but have started using it more regularly now as it's so worth it. I can drop you a message with the subscriptions and packages on offer and which one I use 🙂 Abs x

12. Abigail West
    April 23, 2017 / 6:52 am

I'm glad to have given you some tips. I used to use my tripod all the time when I went out for walks etc but now it stays in my room at university which is not good. One off-putting thing is I don't drive in Shanghai so I'd have to carry it everywhere and it's not the lightest of things to carry. Once I'm back to the UK I normally keep it in my car just incase. Abs x

13. Tamsin | Eco Fluffy Mama
    May 9, 2017 / 10:38 am

I play around with DOF, especially loving using my 50mm f1.8 to really highlight a product and blur the background. Also I really love using fairy lights in background for lush bokeh!

May 18, 2017 / 2:33 pm

Oh wow yes that sounds ideal! I love fairy lights but mine aren't exactly the best as I can't find the right batteries for them so they don't even light up, just use them without the light, ahahaha! Abs x

14. TheStyleAngel
    September 5, 2017 / 9:42 pm

I feel like photos on a blog are so important! I usually like my photos bright too. I got lightroom for free when I bought my camera and I've been loving it for editing photos! :)http://thestyleangel.blogspot.com

15. Kelly~Diane
    January 30, 2018 / 8:25 pm

Some great tips there. I agree a good tripod is a must!